It is necessary to maintain lists of resources available for use by school personnel so that they know exactly who to contact when they are working with a student who might be suicidal. When compiling your own list with local and state contact information, the following may be considered. Providing these contacts on a resource card to staff, students, and community would be beneficial as well.
- School gatekeepers (individuals trained to recognize and respond to suicidal
- Social workers & guidance counselors
- School resource officers
- Psychological services providers
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Mental health agencies, especially crisis service units
- Human services within the county
- Private clinics/facilities
- Hospital emergency rooms
- Local clergy or spiritual leaders
- Substance abuse and suicide prevention information
Compiled from: Maine Youth Suicide Prevention Guidelines.